Constructive Solutions, Inc. is one of the few true design-build companies in the state of Montana. The CSI team provides full architectural and general contracting services, with a fully licensed architectural staff and is a state registered general contracting business. These two entities of the building creation process are housed under one roof and work together as a team on all endeavors.
Under the standard model of construction, the architect and general contractor work for separate companies. Although both try to work for the owner’s best interest in making a project a reality, any miscommunication along the way can lead to an adversarial relationship between the architect and general contractor, with the project owner getting caught in the middle. In reality, both parties approach the project from different angles with similar goals, but often different sets of information and priorities. The underlying tension often present on a project is the inability to reconcile these differences in pursuit of shared goals.
Although Constructive Solutions, Inc. functions as one company, services are offered individually. Whether CSI performs all aspects of a project or only part, the tangible benefits are still present.
Why Design-Build is Better for Architectural Design
- Architects on the team have an inherently better understanding of the construction process
- Design team has a built in resource for constructability review and value engineering
- Design team has a greater degree of accuracy in estimating and better control over the estimating process
Why Design-Build is Better for Construction
- Construction team members are used to working with architects and reading plans
- Construction team has a built in resource for clarifications and interpretations on drawing sets
- Construction team has the ability to generate architectural information in-house if needed
Why Design-Build is better for Projects
- All team members are working for the client’s best interest from the same position
- Barriers to accountability are removed- less time is spent finger pointing, and more time is spent finding solutions
- Communication is streamlined, so moving a project from design to construction is more efficient and cost effective
- Construction input starts earlier and design input lasts longer, providing combined perspectives over the life of the project
- An Integrated Project Delivery model is easily employed, where all parties are equal stakeholders in the success or failure of the project
“A report commissioned by the USDOT found, in summarizing Design-Built project delivery method studies, the Design-Built process reduces contract cost (3% – 14%( and contract duration (15% – 33%) relative to the Design-Bid-Build Process.”